Contrary to the common belief that only women can have yeast infection, we find yeast infection in males as well. Yeast infection is something any one can be infected by including kids. It has more to do with hormonal imbalances than gender. So what exactly is male yeast infection?
Yeast infection in males also has symptoms and reasons similar to female yeast infection. Candida is present in men also therefore it can multiply easily if suitable environment is available. This is exactly what happens when yeast infection spreads in males. Yeast is present in warm and moist areas of body like armpit, groin and anus.
Some well known and commons reasons of male yeast infection.
- Just like female yeast infection, antibiotics work very well to kill bad as well as good bacteria. Though men usually do not require too much antibiotics, it is not very unlikely. If one keeps taking antibiotics, this can be called a side effect of antibiotics.
- External transmission through sexual contact is possible if you indulge in unprotected sex with the infected partner. Tough it is not one of the sexually transmitted diseases; it becomes serious if left untreated.
Following are the commons symptoms of male yeast infection.
- Itching at the head of the penis the most common symptom of penile yeast infection
- Thick white discharges from the heads of the penis.
- Small blisters at the head of the penis with irritation.
- Entire penile area develops itchy sensation after a period of time if no treatment is done.
It is very common for people to ignore yeast infection until it assumes serious proportions or start hampering work. In facts it should be taken care of more promptly because it multiplies very fast and within a day or two you may feel very embarrassed going about your day to day work. Treating male infection is much simpler that treating female yeast infection, therefore instead of ignoring it, one should take immediate treatment before it spreads to one’s partner.
Candidiasis or yeast infection as it is commonly known is visible by different symptoms. What does a yeast infection look like then? How can it be differentiated from other possible diseases and infections of vagina? In fact it is quite easy to distinguish and identify a yeast infection.
There are various reasons for Candida to overgrow. Heavy use of antibiotics which cause imbalance in vaginal ecosystem is one of the major causes of yeast infection. Anti biotics are usually taken to kill bad bacteria but in the process good bacteria are also killed. These good bacteria are responsible for keeping growth of Candida under control. As soon as they are killed candida starts overgrowing and takes the form of yeast infection.
Yeast infection is identified by the following symptoms.
- In young girls yeast infection usually shows up before periods every month. As hormonal changes take place inside the body during menstruation cycle, it causes several imbalances which results in the infection.
- Redness in the vulval area is quite normal if yeast infection is present. However if there is also some pain with redness, you should consult your doctor before coming to any conclusion. Usually redness because of yeast infection is painless.
- Itching and irritation sensation is felt in the vaginal area. It must be noticed that itching is different from pain therefore care should be taken in identifying it. Yeast infection is painless.
- White discharge from vagina is very common symptom of yeast infection. However the discharge should be odorless. If you smell bad odor, you must take expert medical advice before trying any over the counter medicine.
Yeast infection is infections but is transmitted only through sexual intercourse; therefore appropriate precautions should be taken before making any sexual contact with the infected partner. It is best to avoid any sexual activity until the yeast infection is cured. Creams and various kinds of yeast infection drops which have hit the market are known to cure it from the root.
The answer to question like “how long does a yeast infection last” is vague because there are a few factors you must take into consideration before answering it. Yeast infection develops because of imbalance in vaginal flora and there could be many reasons behind it.
The most common reason of yeast infection is antibiotics. Women who take antibiotics for no reason are more susceptible to yeast infection than those who do not take any medicine at all. It is true that if you are treating some other disorder then taking antibiotics is something you cannot avoid. In such cases yeast infection may last as long as you keep taking those medicines. However you can seek expert advice from your gynecologist to check if some other drug can be helpful in treating yeast infection side by side.
Yeast infection has a tendency to recur again and again therefore if it is your first infection you must take medical guidance so that it can be treated for ever. The embarrassing nature of this disorder stops women from discussing it with someone, which results in aggravating the situation. The longer you ignore it, the more serious it will become. If you seek medical advice when you have this infection for the first time it will not recur after treatment.
If you have already got yeast infection in the past and you treated it successfully with some over the counter drug, you may have treated the symptoms not the cause. In such situation yeast infection keep coming back and take longer to treat. For one thing you should not start self treating yourself for another if you have already done that do not hesitate to visit a doctor to have yourself checked. Not only will it ensure that yeast infection will not recur but also diagnose you for any other ailment that you might be suffering from.
Finally instead of taking over the counter drugs try some herbal treatment which are somewhat lengthy but their effects are long lasting. Herbal treatment may take a month or so.
Systemic yeast infection is a condition of yeast infection when yeast starts attacking the bloodstream. Unlike vaginal yeast infection it can attack any part of the body. While vaginal yeast infection is the most common type, systemic yeast infection is somewhat of rare type. It does not occur under normal circumstances, though factors influencing the growth of normal yeast infection play a major role in systemic yeast infection as well.
Systemic yeast infection is also known as opportunistic infection because of its erratic nature. It usually occurs when the immune system fails to stop the overgrowth of Candida. There could be many reasons behind failed immune system. If the intestinal environment is imbalanced because of high acid or sugar content, it may lead to systemic yeast infection.
Earlier it was believed that yeast infection could occur only locally therefore topical creams were enough to treat it. Further research and case studies revealed that it can spread to the bloodstream as well. If local yeast infection is left untreated for long it may cause systemic yeast infection. Symptoms of this infection are noticeable in general fatigue, dizziness, constant pain in certain parts of the body. It is therefore advisable not to ignore the infection for long.
Unlike common yeast infection treatment, this infection requires a complete holistic approach for curing it. While dietary changes like reducing sweet food and eatables made of refined flour are helpful in curing systemic yeast infection, there must be strong medication to fix the intestinal balance. Instead of trying to self treat this condition one should visit a qualified physician for treatment.
Over the counter drugs are not effective in treating this infection. Nor should one try them. But yes, increased intake of probiotics food is helpful. Leafy vegetables must be a part of your regular diet if you taking medication for systemic yeast infection.
Yeast infection is a very common infection that occurs in the moist areas of human body. Because of sudden increase in the no. of yeast which is already present in our body, we are infected by what we call yeast infection. The reasons behind the increase in no. of yeast are many. The most important being the use of antibiotic or introduction of new yeast. In order to cure yeast infection we must neutralize the imbalance in the no. of yeast either by taking oral medications or applying lotions and creams.
Over the counter drugs to cure yeast infection are often very effective in treating the symptoms but they do not cure the basic cause because of which yeast started multiplying. In such a situation it is advisable to try some home remedies which are quite effective in curing yeast infection. Some of the ways to cure yeast infection are.
- Yoghurt is a very potent cure for yeast infection. Yoghurt can be used in any form. You can apply in on the infection with the help of a tampon or directly if you wish. Alternatively you can start eating yoghurt as well. The probiotic nature of yoghurt restores the balance in vaginal area. Bad bacteria are either killed or the new good bacteria introduced by yoghurt overpower the infected bacteria.
- Garlic can be used either in raw form or can be added in your diet. It is a natural enemy of yeast infection. Just wrap a clove of garlic in gauze and insert it in the infected area. The soothing effect is felt within a few hours. If you repeat this procedure regularly yeast infection will be gone in a few days.
Yeast infection can be prevented and cured by taking simple precaution like wearing loose fitting clothes especially in the crotch and avoiding perfumed soaps and detergents. Also if you reduce the unnecessary intake of antibiotics, chance of you getting a yeast infection will be greatly reduced.
Candida or yeast infection becomes problematic and embarrassing when the fungus starts growing uncontrolled. It is very important to identify the signs of yeast infection because often it has been observed women start self medication without trying to ascertain first if is it yeast infection they want to treat. They may also be suffering from more serious diseases therefore just check the signs of yeast infection before treating it.
- The early sign of yeast infection is a thick white discharge from the vagina. Not all kind of discharge may indicate yeast infection. Usually yeast infection discharge is odorless. In worse case it may smell like yeast or bread. If the smell is foul, it must be some other infection.
- Yeast infection causes itching and irritation in vaginal area.
- You may also feel pain while urinating and sexual intercourse.
- Swelling in vulval region with some redness.
These are some of the most common signs of yeast infection. You must seek expert medical advice and treatment if the signs are different than what is mentioned above.
It is not necessary that yeast infection will occur only in vaginal area. Some of the other kinds of yeast infection are oral yeast infection and anal yeast infection. Symptom and signs of all kinds of yeast infection are the same. Yeast infection is very common in pregnant women. However the fetus remains unaffected by the yeast infection.
While there are several natural yeast infection creams and lotions available on the market, the efficacy of homemade cures for yeast infection cannot be underestimated. Yoghurt is known to work very well to treat yeast infection. You must make yoghurt a part of your daily diet. It can also be applied topically for speedy results. Just see what suits you the best, but take proper precautions and expert advice if you are not very sure about the infection.
Treating yeast infection is very easy if you can take some simple precautionary measures. For first timer it is always recommended to treat the infection from root so that it does not start recurring. Yeast infection has a tendency to recur if not treated properly. This is exactly what many people do. Instead of finding out the reasons behind the yeast infection and curing it, they simply pick up any yeast infection cream and start self medication. This simply converts the infection into chronic yeast infection. Some are proactive and start treating it with natural cures. So what are the natural cures for yeast infection?
Our home, especially kitchen has all the natural cures for yeast infection, but due to ignorance we tend to avoid them. Apart from treatments there are certain changes in the types of clothes we wear are also very important in curing yeast infection.
Following are a few well known natural cures for yeast infection
- Use mild solutions of apple cedar vinegar at the infected are. Garlic cloves can also be wrapped in gauze and inserted in the vagina for reducing the itchy sensation.
- Yoghurt can be applied directly as well as consumed regularly for curing yeast infection from the root. Homemade yoghurt is also good , but the better is the one that you find in supermarket with a label saying “active probiotics” or simply “probiotics”
- Let your crotch breath. Do not wear tight underwear or tight trousers all the time. As yeast infection requires warmth to develop you are only creating good environment for them by not allowing fresh air in. Wear cotton underwear to ensure that yeast infection does not keep developing.
Finally make sure that you increase the intake of yoghurt in any form and reduce the intake of antibiotics without any reason. These two simple steps are sufficient to keep you yeast infection free.
In order to find out what causes yeast infection we must have a look at what exactly yeast is. Yeasts are unicellular fungi. There are some 1500 different species of yeast; some of them can be called multicellular as well because of their budding cells connected by a string. Yeast develops in moist and warm areas. Human skin has yeast in limited quantities, but moist areas like armpit, vagina, rectum etc are more vulnerable to yeast infection.
Yeast infection is caused by the imbalance in the no. of yeast. The infected area somehow starts developing more yeast than is required for healthy body. As the no. of bad bacteria exceeds the no. of good bacteria we start feeling the itchy sensation. It is followed by irritation and redness. As vagina provides a full fledged breeding ground for yeast to develop very fast, it is often considered to be a women’s disease. It is not true, even men can develop yeast infection.
What causes a yeast infection?
- Anti biotic plays a major role in creating imbalance in the no. of yeast. Women tend to eat various kinds of antibiotics therefore they are more susceptible to yeast infection. Not only should you reduce the intake of excess anti biotic but also try to avoid them at all if possible.
- Warmth provides good environment for yeast infection. Vagina being a very warm place creates perfect condition for it to develop. Nylon and synthetic underwear just aggravate the situation.
- Perfumed soaps and detergents that are meant for good hygiene are known to cause imbalance of flora in vagina.Make sure that you do not use perfumed toiletries especially if you already have yeast infection.
- Too much douching is also known to cause yeast infection. Once in while it is okay but do not overdo it.
If somehow you develop yeast infection, go for natural ingredients based products rather than any over the counter cream. Natural supplements restore the ph balance in body while creams are good for curing symptoms.
Yeast infection is one of the most irritating health conditions that cannot be even talked about in public. Though any moist area of the body can get this infection, vaginal yeast infection is more common than other yeast infections. It is because of this reason that many people believe that yeast infection is a women’s disease. This is not true, even men can get yeast infection though their no. is very low.
Despite various over the counter drugs and lotions of yeast infection, demand of natural remedies for yeast infection is ever rising. In fact there are many items available at local super market that can be used as remedy for yeast infection. Some of the natural cures for yeast infection are as follows.
- Yoghurt: It is known to be very effective in curing yeast infection. You can either apply it to the infection or simply eat it so that it can work internally. Some people are reported to have got very speedy recovery it both consumption and topical use are done simultaneously.
- Boric acid based cures: Recurring yeast infections can be treated very well with boric acid which is known to have anti fungal properties. Topical use of boric acid is sometimes more effective than remedies meant for oral consumption. Boric acid should not be consumed or applied on cuts. Boric acid suppositories must not be tried on pregnant women and infants.
- Treating with Tea Tree oil: Despite lack of enough scientific evidence to prove that tea tree oil is beneficial for treating yeast infection, we have users reporting to have benefitted from diluted solution of tea tree oil.
These are some of the most common natural remedies for yeast infection. You can use whatever suits you the best. Never try to use two or more methods simultaneously. It may aggravate the situation rather than curing it. Many over the counter creams and solutions with natural ingredients are just as effective.