- Yeast infection is a result of overgrowth of Candida in vagina or some other moist area of your body .Often other more serious ailments of vagina are mistaken to be yeast infection. People start taking medicine for yeast infection and aggravate the disorder. So what does a yeast infection look like? In order to be sure if you have yeast infection just check for a few symptoms mentioned below.
- Thick white discharge from vagina is the most visible sign of yeast infection. However the real confusion comes up when the discharge also has foul smell. In that case it is best to take expert advice instead of starting self medication. Usually yeast infection has no smell of its own.
- Itchiness in the vaginal or affected area is another indication of yeast infection. Though in many cases there is itchy sensation without yeast infection, it is sure to be yeast infection if the itchiness persists.
- Burning sensation during urination is one of the symptoms of this disorder. If it is combined with all the above mentioned symptoms, you can be rest assured that you are suffering from yeast infection.
- In most of the cases people are reported to have painful sexual experiences while one partner has yeast infection. It is best to avoid sex if you have mildest of itchy or burning sensation in genital area.
- Irritation and redness in the vaginal area is something you can identify yeast infection with. However, it is not just yeast infection that causes redness. There might be other reasons behind redness. If other symptoms are combined with redness, you can go for yeast infection treatment.
- Once you are sure that you have yeast infection, you can start using natural topical yeast infection creams which have recently hit the market in a big way. Not only are these effective in curing yeast infection but also in making sure that it does not recur.
- 8. Yeast infection: How to prevent vaginal yeast infection
- Vaginal yeast infection is caused by the imbalance of candida albicans in the vaginal area. The most worrisome aspect of this disorder is that even if cured once, it has a tendency to recur. In order to stop this infection from recurring it is best to prevent it in the first place. Though not very difficult these tips require some precautions to be followed.
- As the vaginal yeast infection is caused by imbalance in vaginal area, we should try to eliminate the reasons that cause imbalance. Following are the tips to prevent vaginal yeast infection.
- Eat a healthy diet with a lot of fresh fruits and raw vegetables. Yoghurt is known to prevent the occurrence of yeast infection. However it cannot cure it if the infection has already spread.
- Make sure that your groin area is clean. While taking shower clean the area regularly.
- Keep the area well ventilated which means that nylon and synthetic underwear should be avoided. Only cotton undergarments keep the area fresh, therefore recommended to avoid yeast infection.
- Use antibiotics only when prescribed by your physician or doctor. Anti biotics provide a perfect condition for yeast development if consumed in excess quantity. Do not take unnecessary medicines like pain killers, sleeping pills or birth control pills etc. If birth control pill is causing it, just go for some other contraceptive.
- If you go for swimming, change the swimming costume as soon as you come out of the pool. Douching should be avoided because it throws good bacteria also with the bad bacteria, out of your body.
- Perfumed toiletries are not recommended if you have a tendency to develop yeast infection. Once developed, yeast infection tend to recur therefore extra care should be taken to avoid it.
Last but not the least towels and under garments should never be shared with anyone. Take precaution while having sex with the infected person. It is best to avoid sex unless the infection is treated. If you must, just use a condom to make sure infection does not get transmitted from on partner to another.